Monday, December 19, 2011

My favorite gift!


I often talk about how much I like "doing" versus "buying," so this year I decided to create a special gift for my family in that vein (even my hubby doesn't know about this one).

I saw a similar idea somewhere on the internet (if I knew where I'd post a link!), but it was more for dating - I tweaked it for my family.

I took 12 envelopes and wrote the month on each one. Then, inside each envelope I wrote a note to my family outlining a fun family event we would do that month. Included in the envelope are also gift cards, cash, tickets, etc. - whatever is needed for the outing. I put the envelopes in a pretty basket (recycled from my closet) so it will be something we can leave out in plain view. My plan is that on the first of each month, we can sit down over dinner, dessert, whatever, open the envelope and then schedule the event.

I'm hoping it will become a fun activity the kids look forward to and encourage more fun family times. It's been a fun project for me coming up with new ideas and gathering the supplies for each month. The daily deal sites like Groupon, Living Social and Eversave have been invaluable!

So, here's to one fun thing planned for 2012: A Year of Family Fun!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

This is such a neat idea! I think I'll do something like it next year :)

phoward336 said...

Thanks - the kids loved it!

Julie@teachinggoodeaters said...

That's a neat idea... and it's not too late- it doesn't have to be a Christmas Present... it could be a New Year's Present!